It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:10 am

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: VOYAGER: Geillis and Sandringham
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:39 pm 
purple diamond member

After reading the whole book, I have something gnawing at me and I'm wondering if I missed something. In Chapter 60, after Claire, Jamie, and Geillis have all chatted about everything and Claire and Jamie are leaving, Jamie asks Geillis, " "I wonder...since ye mentioned having lived in Paris for a time-whether ye might have been acquainted there wi' a gentleman of my own acquaintance. Did ye by chance ken the Duke of Sandringham?" "

Geillis says she did know him and I just wonder if Geillis also might have been behind all the efforts to rid Jamie and Claire. I went back to DIA and see that the Duke said he tried to get Jamie first, then changed his mind and went after Claire. Also, the treasure box was supposed to be Sandringham's at one time. How did Geillis know where to find it? Why did it take so long for her to retrieve it? So, I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this whole bit...
but I did wonder what Jamie was thinking about when he asked her in a passing way.

Post subject: Re: Geillis and Sandringham
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:38 pm 
Clan Fraser

There are many details missing, without which is it difficult to trace the series of events. I gather Jamie knew Geillis's political sentiments and assumed she would have aligned herself with the Duke. After escaping her sentence at Crainsmuir, Geillis must have laid low until she could get to the treasure.

Post subject: Re: Geillis and Sandringham
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:12 pm 
topaz member

Celestem wrote:
So, I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this whole bit...

:lol: Isn't "overthinking" what websites like this are all about?! It's a place for all of us Outlandish Overthinkers to gather together and overthink amongst friends. :hug:

Post subject: Re: VOYAGER: Geillis and Sandringham
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:00 pm 
Clan Fraser

Celestem wrote:
Geillis says she did know him and I just wonder if Geillis also might have been behind all the efforts to rid Jamie and Claire. I went back to DIA and see that the Duke said he tried to get Jamie first, then changed his mind and went after Claire. Also, the treasure box was supposed to be Sandringham's at one time. How did Geillis know where to find it? Why did it take so long for her to retrieve it? So, I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this whole bit...
but I did wonder what Jamie was thinking about when he asked her in a passing way.

Overthink away! :flower:

I think you are on to something! In DIA, we learn the Duke of Sandringham, via the musical cypher, offered the Bonnie Prince 10,000 pounds. Jamie and Claire connect this to Geillis, as she was able to divert 10,000 pounds from her husband for the Jacobite cause. In Voyager, we see the connection again through the treasure and its link to the Duke (the coins). Geillis and Sandringham were in cahoots, its just not clear exactly how/when/why. When Jamie asked Geillis about Sandringham, he was asking Geillis to verify the connect-the-dots.

Have you read The Exile? In it, we learn Geillis was behind several attempts on Jamie's life during Outlander, because she saw Jamie's possible ascension to chief of Clan MacKenzie as a threat to the Jacobite cause (she could control Dougal but Jamie was a wild-card).

Coming full circle: was Geillis behind the Duke's attempts on Jamie and Claire in DiA? Was that the underlying motive for Jamie's question in Voyager?

As far as how Geillis knew the location of the box and why it took her so long to retrieve, I have no idea!

Visit our shop and 'like' us on Facebook!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:26 pm 
purple diamond member

I am beginning The Fiery Cross right now. This whole series is new to me and it is all a first read, although I did re-read Outlander already. The Exile doesn't appeal to me, but I will probably get to it after I'm done with the last novel. I also have Lord John books to get to and haven't because I'm too focused on the Outlander series.
Sometimes the story is better if the author doesn't divulge everything. It makes the story line interesting to the reader and that's why we have forums like these!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:15 pm 
Clan Fraser

Geillis and Sandringham had to be in cahoots together. We find out that Dougal brought her to France with him, probably when he ran into J&C in DIA. This is also the time when there were various assassin attempts on J&C. Another thing that points to their collaboration is that Geillie knew her Scottish history before going back in time and was determined to change it. Even Claire knew that Sandringham was a powerful person during this era but wasn't too sure of the details. In Geillie's obsessive research prior to going back, she had to know that she needed to align herself with him. IMO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:42 pm 
purple diamond member

Yes, you're right! When I posted this, I was reading Voyager. So it was all new and fresh for me. Now, I can see how things come together. What is amazing is that Diana G doesn't use a storyboard and writes as she goes along. That, to me, is amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:00 pm 
Clan Fraser

Pauline wrote:
Even Claire knew that Sandringham was a powerful person during this era but wasn't too sure of the details. In Geillie's obsessive research prior to going back, she had to know that she needed to align herself with him. IMO

Pauline ~ you really pull all of the pieces together! Thank you! :bow:

Visit our shop and 'like' us on Facebook!