It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: OUTLANDER: How Jaimie knew Claire might be barren
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:28 pm 
topaz member

:D Hello- this is my first post as I am a new member to this forum. I am reading Outlander for the first time and have about 40 pages left. I read the spoiler policy so I think I am ok in asking this question- since I don't know anything from future books : )
There is a conversation after Jenny gives birth to her daughter when Jaimie says (to the best of my recollection- something like-) he might even be glad that Claire may be barren since he could not bare to hear her in such pain and peril. He says that he knew before they were married- Did I miss something? How did he know? :huh: :huh:
My best guess- and stop reading if you are petrified of spoilers- though it's only my guess - that he is the highlander that Frank saw watching her before she started on her adventure- that he traveled forward thru time after he knew her and so he actually knew all this stuff before she even told him- BUT that doesn't really make sense because he isn't acting like he knows she has traveled thru time until she tells him- so I don't know.
He thinks she is younger so it isn't about her age- maybe becasue she has been married before and has no children? It seemed odd to me that she didn't ask him- hey dude what do you mean you figured I was barren before you even married me? Maybe my dear departed husband was shooting blanks- lets not blame the womb boys.
One more question- before leaving Lallybroch, Claire gives Jenny some useful advice in the form of crop advice and preparation for the upcoming famine- but she doesn't tell her to stay far away from the fight for Bonny Prince Charlie- why? I guess her one legged husband isn't likely to go to Culloden but there are other ways to become entangled in a fight and end up on the English hit list.
Glad to join your community and be able to talk novel instead of Starz series- why is the series so much more rapey btw? I guess that is a question for another board. I enjoyed watching the show but oh boy there is so much more to be gleaned from the novels and I understand Claire's motivations so much more- Black Jack is so much more complicated- I love it! I wonder if they will stay true to Black Jack and what is likely his real relationship to the Duke of Sandringham given their mutual intimate preferences.
By the way I love that when he asks her who John Wayne is she says- You are. Nicely done Claire, nicely done.

Post subject: Re: How Jaimie knew Claire might be barren- and greetings
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:47 pm 
purple diamond member

Hello, Duchess, welcome to OBC. A lot of us have had those questions in our mind before. Some have been answered by DG in other forums, facebook, her website and/or The Outlandish Companion. For instance, we know the ghost is Jamie, and we know Jamie cannot time travel. I know, confusing, but we'll need to wait for the last book for an explanation. About Jamie suspecting Claire being unable to have children, I think is what you said about her having been married and not having children. It's not like they had the pill then, and he didn't know about sperm count.

Post subject: Re: How Jaimie knew Claire might be barren- and greetings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:11 pm 
topaz member

About him thinking Claire was barren, he says: "Aye, I knew that long ago. Geillis Duncan told me, soon after we wed".

And also welcome :flower:

Post subject: Re: OUTLANDER: How Jaimie knew Claire might be barren
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:09 pm 
topaz member

hmmmm, so is it becasue Geillis Duncan knew from some twisted knowledge from Claire going back and forth? Thank you for the welcome--

Post subject: Re: OUTLANDER: How Jaimie knew Claire might be barren
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:19 pm 
purple diamond member

I think it's just her sticking her nose where it doesn't belong. Remember Claire was picking some plant or fungus for medicine and Geillis asks her if she's trying to abort? Claire tells about not having been able to conceive and she tells her she might be barren.