It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:18 am

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: OUTLANDER: The reasons Jamie married Claire?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:03 am 
topaz member

This will be easy for you to answer, however the small bits are not coming together for me.

In Chapter 15 (sm.pback pg 272) Claire asks Jamie why he married her. On page 273 Jamie says 'There are things I canna tell you, at least not now.'
Is her question and his statement related?
What 'things' can Jamie not tell Claire?
What are the reasons Jamie married her? I do remember two. 1) 'Well, I would ha'missed talking to ye for one thing.' (pg272) and 2) he loves her ( UTL page).

Thanks ever so for the help.

Meredith

Post subject: Re: OUTLANDER: The reasons Jamie married Claire?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:14 pm 
emerald member

To be able to answer this question without giving away spoilers it would be helpful to know if you have finished Outlander and if not, where along the way, scene or page, you are.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:18 pm 
emerald member

Quick check of my book, Chapter 27 is entitled The Reason and all your questions are answered in that chapter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:59 pm 
topaz member

Thanks for asking - I've read all 8 Outlander and a few LJG.

m

- -- - -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:06 pm 
emerald member

Other reasons I remember are:

1) mentioned during the wedding night:
- to protect her from Jack Randall (by turning her into a Scot)
- because he wanted to bed her
- because he would have missed talking to her

2) mentioned after the wedding/upon arrival at Leoch:
- because it made him less of a thread to the Mackenzie brothers (since no laird of Leoch would have an English wife)
- to get his share of Leoch rents as part of his mother's marriage agreement
- to protect Lallybroch (now it will go to Claire instead of returning to Mackenzies, I think?)

3) mentioned when they are at Lallybroch
- the main reason, because he loves her (awwww!)

I'm sure there are a few more, but those are the ones I remember :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:05 pm 
topaz member

That is a beautiful outline, thank you cndnveggie.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:05 pm 
topaz member

All of the above are true but the broader reason Jamie marries Claire is that a powerful hero needs a wife he doesn't eclipse.Of the women of Outlander who has the force of character,education,combat experience,and raw sexuality of Claire.Dougal recognizes she'd be a valuable asset to any Laird as his wife,a woman who understands the English but can never return to their way of life.While there were women of acomplishment at the time their roles were constrained by lack of education and opportunity plus the life draining demands of constant pregnancies with the ever constant reality of death in childbirth.Jaime's mother was strongwilled,educated,beautiful,an artist but the danger of childbirth proved as deadly to her as any peasant woman. MJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:27 pm 
sapphire member

Thank you all for your comments, one of my favourite topics. Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:21 am 
purple diamond member

I like to think he married her because I wasn't available :lol: (what? rum and coke)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:59 am 
topaz member

The further down the road you get, I really think this is the big reason. For me, the big message here, and it is subtle, is that both Jamie and Claire are "people of worth". As such they not only expect more from themselves but from each other. That constant "high bar" is a lot of what makes them so compatible.

Ms. Gabaldon did say that she had a hard time writing weak women roles, and that helps toward the people-of-worth end, but even though the characters are strong, they are also very brave. They end up in situations in which they are only looking for a better life or world for themselves and their family, and have tremendous problems/challenges arise and deal with them. This is the way of a lot of great people.

One of the things I find enormously addictive about this story, is that not only are Claire and Jamie people of worth, but that Ms. Gabaldon seems to be able to weave a dramatic story without having the heroes get into messes that we all know are bad. I'm a little tired of characters getting involved with drugs and then finding out that their life is shambles (duh!!!)! She places them in historically either malevolent or otherwise dangerous times/situations and they have to work their way out of it. Not because they got themselves embroiled in their own self-induced predicaments, but because they want to make life/the world better for themselves.

I hope I didn't make this sound too nebulous, but wasn't sure of the spoiler policy here and didn't want to give anything away.

mjmc wrote:
All of the above are true but the broader reason Jamie marries Claire is that a powerful hero needs a wife he doesn't eclipse.Of the women of Outlander who has the force of character,education,combat experience,and raw sexuality of Claire.Dougal recognizes she'd be a valuable asset to any Laird as his wife,a woman who understands the English but can never return to their way of life.While there were women of acomplishment at the time their roles were constrained by lack of education and opportunity plus the life draining demands of constant pregnancies with the ever constant reality of death in childbirth.Jaime's mother was strongwilled,educated,beautiful,an artist but the danger of childbirth proved as deadly to her as any peasant woman. MJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:02 am 
topaz member

I think one of the things he couldn't tell her was that he loved her because he did not want her to feel uncomfortable knowing she did not want to marry and his pride would take a hit to tell her that and perhaps have her rebuke him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:04 am 
topaz member

I think one of the things he couldn't tell her was that he loved her because he did not want her to feel uncomfortable knowing she did not want to marry and his pride would take a hit to tell her that and perhaps have her rebuke him. I also think he was shy to tell her he wanted to bed her.z

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:12 am 
topaz member

I do think that Jamie needed to be married to a woman he could see as a companion, Jamie enjoys intellectual banter and always gets that with Claire, if she married someone else, he might no longer be free to interact with her and he would greatly miss that. If she were his wife they could converse as much as they wanted. I do not think Jamie could suffer a fool.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:50 am 
topaz member

I apologize for so many replies on this thread but, in this case I just felt I made a mistake saying Jamie would not suffer a fool, what I really mean is that having two intelligent parents who conversed well and loved each other, I think he would find it difficult to be married to someone very much inferior in intellectual ability, First I do not think he would willingly marry someone like that, but if he found himself in that situation, the kind person he is, he would probably find a way to make it work and would not look down on his wife. Women of that time would not necessarily be expected to converse on the same level with the men and in most cases the husbands probably would not want them to. With Claire Jamie was already in love with this sophisticated, well-educated woman with whom he enjoyed conversation and wanted more than anything in life and so, to him it would be a match made in heaven.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:02 pm 
Clan Fraser

ERIII wrote:
One of the things I find enormously addictive about this story, is that not only are Claire and Jamie people of worth, but that Ms. Gabaldon seems to be able to weave a dramatic story without having the heroes get into messes that we all know are bad. I'm a little tired of characters getting involved with drugs and then finding out that their life is shambles (duh!!!)! She places them in historically either malevolent or otherwise dangerous times/situations and they have to work their way out of it. Not because they got themselves embroiled in their own self-induced predicaments, but because they want to make life/the world better for themselves.

I hope I didn't make this sound too nebulous, but wasn't sure of the spoiler policy here and didn't want to give anything away.

Not nebulous at all ERIII. DG wrote a novel in a time period where drugs were not as prevalent, accessible, or insidious as they've become since the 60's. In Jamie's world, political machinations, treason, and backstabbing were the drugs --metaphorically speaking -- of the day. Look what happened with Claire and her disobedience, an experienced combat nurse should have known better, exercised caution, but did it anyway. Same with drugs, people foolishly believe they can follow the siren song and remain impervious, walk away whenever. No such thing. (regarding spoiler policy: keep the discussion within the current or earlier books) For more information, check This Thread :D

mjmc wrote:
All of the above are true, but the broader reason Jamie marries Claire is that a powerful hero needs a wife he doesn't eclipse.

:agree:

But the wine had been too strong for her, as it had for the others; and like the others she had stepped from the safe shores of friendship. She stood now in another country, whose sun burned and whose air was too rare for her breathing. Checkmate