It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:47 pm

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: OUTLANDER: Got a new (well, VERY gently used) copy today!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:53 am 
topaz member

I had a ton of books to take to my favorite used-book store. I had called ahead and asked if they had a paperback copy of Outlander in relatively good condition, and if so, could they please hold a copy at the front desk for me? Since I have been a customer in excellent standing for a couple of decades, they did.

It was one of the VERY new ones, with the photo of Sam and Cait on the cover! It looks brand-new, and cost me next to nothing! (I have no qualms about putting my old copy into paper recycles. That's about all it's good for. It is literally falling apart, as it has been re-kilted SO many times.)

I had decided to re-kilt the entire series, as something to do between now and April.

Post subject: Re: Got a new (well, VERY gently used) copy today!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:52 am 
Clan Fraser

Good for you madbookworm. I would have a hard time partime with my old copy.... too many memories. Enjoy your re-kilt of the series. I started that this summer and am enjoying it. Jump in on the discussions of A Breath of Snow and Ashes when you get there.

Post subject: Re: OUTLANDER: Got a new (well, VERY gently used) copy today
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:58 am 
topaz member

Well, as I am such a book lover, it HURTS to see a book in such horrible condition. One page had come completely undone, and it kept slipping out and it was practically FRINGED along the outside edge. That was the worst. But there were also several chunks, of several pages each, that kept falling out if I was lying in bed, trying to read. Very disruptive.

I once thought, years ago, about going back to school and getting a Master's in Library Science, to see about getting a job at the high school where my husband taught. He advised, "Don't do it. It would break your heart to see what those kids do to books. You might find a BRAND-NEW book with a wad of chewed gum smooshed in the middle of it. Wouldn't that get to you?" I had to admit, such wanton waste would really hurt. Not only because of the wasted money, but because of the wasted KNOWLEDGE.

My parents were Depression-Era children. Waste not, want not, and all that stuff. I learned to read before I was even in kindergarten - I had pestered my grandma to teach me. So I read everything I could get my hands on. When my father went on business trips, he would often bring back a book in the "Wizard of Oz" series. I was so careful with those that I still have many of them, still in good condition, although I read all of them many times over. Books contain their own kind of magic. I passed that love to all of my children - they are all voracious readers - and I hope that THEIR kids will be, also.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:36 am 
Clan Fraser

What a lovely post - you are a true BOOK LOVER. Books truly contain their own kind of magic.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:48 pm 
emerald member

I am newer to the Outlander world and am in the middle of DoA and was planning to read the Lord John series before starting FC. I come into work today and my boss has left Hard Copy First Editions of two of the Lord John books and Echo in the Bones on my desk. His wife was cleaning out her mother’s books, who has passed away, and she told him I would love this series. I am thrilled to be gifted this most loved copies at the perfect time!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:14 pm 
Clan Fraser

abm200 wrote:
I am newer to the Outlander world and am in the middle of DoA and was planning to read the Lord John series before starting FC. I come into work today and my boss has left Hard Copy First Editions of two of the Lord John books and Echo in the Bones on my desk. His wife was cleaning out her mother’s books, who has passed away, and she told him I would love this series. I am thrilled to be gifted this most loved copies at the perfect time!

abm200, how wonderful!

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:22 pm 
Clan Fraser

What a lovely gift, abm200!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:42 pm 
topaz member

I have been a fan of the Outlander series since 2000, I have the hardback books. I'm now reading Written in my own hearts blood, I'm more than 1/2 way through the book, this 8th book has some many things going on in it, from past to present. Has any one else gotten to book 8?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:32 pm 
Clan Fraser

Yes, ChinaRose, a lot of us have read book 8 -- some more than once! :lol:

Lots of great discussion threads are available whenever you want to jump in. You can find book 8 discussions here.

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.