It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:23 am

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: MOBY: Author's Notes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:12 pm 
Clan Fraser

As we are reaching the end of our group Moby re-kilt, I thought it might be good to have a thread about the Author's Notes at the end of the book in case anyone read them and wanted to comment on any of the information there.

The section includes notes from Diana Gabaldon about:
Dams and Tunnels (in the Scottish Highlands)
Banastre Tarleton and the British Legion
The Battle of Monmouth
The Court-Martial of General Charles Lee
Quaker Plain Speech
Scots/Scotch/Scottish
Typos and Terminology (including some things that aren't typos)
Bibliography/LibraryThing

Feel free to comment on any or all of these topics. :flower:

Post subject: Re: MOBY: Author's Notes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:13 pm 
Clan Fraser

Thanks ABL. I've visited the Cruachan hydro electric power station in Argyll and Bute, Scotland a couple of times. A minibus takes you into the mountain and then you are driven along tunnels towards the huge central cavern where all the industrial machinery is. It's a really fascinating place. There are side tunnels branching off of the main road and there are plant experiments being conducted to see how plants can evolve underground as well as the actual purposeful work of the production of electricity.
It's quite awe inspiring to think of the manual labour that went into the building of the scheme.

As you can imagine, each time I visit I also try to see the place through the eyes of Brianna and Jem. When I look down the dark side tunnels I have no trouble visualising Jem feeling the power of the time travel portal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:59 pm 
Clan Fraser

Wow! It's great that you've visited and that it was so interesting to see. I had no idea they would be experimenting with growing plants underground there in addition to producing electricity. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:58 pm 
Clan Fraser

It's interesting to read through the notes. I was particularly interested in the plain speech section, as it's quite interesting to learn about the origins of thee vs you in the English language. I also found Diana's comments on artistic license quite amusing, and appreciated hearing how she sticks to the historical record but adds in pieces that could have happened, where there are unspecified militia troops, for example.

The bits about typos and terminology are very informative as well. I can just imagine all the emails and Facebook comments she must get about things like "girdles".

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:30 am 
Clan Fraser

I'm not sure I would like to travel in tunnels under a dam. Jem is a brave lad.
I was interested in the description on how DG places a real life historical character in a scene. There was more about this in The Outlandish Companion Vol II and how she sometimes found an even the real person was at, and contrived to put her characters in the same place. It makes the story more real for us, the readers, as we weave around the real historical people and events.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:21 pm 
Clan Fraser

I found the Plain speech stuff pretty fascinating. The thee and thou sounds more formal to me now, so it was a switch to learn that it used to be the familiar forms.

I knew that General Charles Lee had been court-martialed, but hadn't thought about the fact that the family - particularly in a print shop - should have been talking about it. In fact, I didn't realize it was happening at the time the family was back in Philadelphia. But, with Jamie having been right there during the retreat and then Washington marshalling the troops, that really should have been talked about. Since DG mentioned the family's other pressing concerns, I suspect that she would have liked to include a discussion of the court-martial, but that it didn't fit or it ruined the flow of the story or something.