It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:31 am 
topaz member

Hi there,
My name is Margaret and I'm a newish Outlander fan... Meaning that I've been reading the books nonstop since February! I'm totally addicted.

I love that whatever is going on in my life, I can get lost in this other world... And what they struggle with is often similar to my own problems, or much, much, much worse. It's cliche to say it, but these characters feel like real people, and I can't get enough. I just finished book 6... And I'm so scared of reaching the end of what's published!!

I really appreciate the chapter discussions, and I'm looking forward to entering into some of the discussions, if I'm not too late in the game :)

Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:36 am 
Clan Fraser

:Melissa: Welcome Msmreads! So glad you've joined us and that you've been enjoying the books and our chapter discussions. It's never too late to join in and post on the threads, though other people not might remember all the details if they haven't read the chapter you're on very recently. If you'd like to take part in a rekilt (what we call a reread) in real time, we'll be starting on the LJ books in September and we'd love to have you join us. Also, I'm glad to hear that their problems are much worse than yours. I'd hate to think you're facing stuff like they do. :scared:

You might already know this, but since you haven't yet completed all the books, I will mention that in each book's section our spoiler policies allow discussion of that book and all the previous ones. But, beware that people can discuss the whole book, so if you haven't finished the book yet, you might find spoilers for later events within that book even in threads for early chapters. If you have any questions, feel free to ask any moderator, called Clan Fraser with names in red, and we'll try to help.

I look forward to chatting with you! :flower:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:29 pm 
Clan Fraser

Hello Msmreads, and welcome to the OBC. Even when you reach the end of what is published, there is no end to the discussions, so never fear. You mention that you have just finished book 6. Have you read any of the Lord John stories? Audiobooklover mentioned that we will be re-kilting those as a group later this year. Although the stories are apart from the main series, some of the characters do overlap, and it can be helpful to have read some of those stories prior to starting book 7 (ECHO) as it gives you some background material to help you understand what is going on in ECHO.

I look forward to hearing your views.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:20 pm 
Clan Fraser

Msmreads, welcome.
I agree that the OL series is great escape reading and I'm happy that it has provided you with some time in a different world.

The Lord John stories are wonderful and should be read before Echo in the Bone, so if you haven't started that one, (and even if you have) it's perfect timing for Lord John, whom you met in Dragonfly and who appeared in later books.

If you enjoy audio-novels, Jeff Woodman is a wonderful narrator of the Lord John stories. He sounds just like I imagine Lord John to sound. Your library either has them or can order them for you.
In any case, join in, whether it's with the LJ novels or the others.

It's great to have you here. Happy reading and posting! :read: :bigsmile:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:17 pm 
topaz member

Great tips about reading the lj series! Yes, I think I'd love to help with the chapter discussions... Sign me up! :) I'll see if my library has those... And yes, I've been doing both the audio and regular books (so I don't have to quit reading on my commute!) And loving both. Glad to hear that the lj audio books are also good, I'll have to check them out.

How do you all approach the Outlandish companions? I haven't read them yet and wasn't quite sure the best method.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:41 pm 
Clan Fraser

Msmreads wrote:
How do you all approach the Outlandish companions? I haven't read them yet and wasn't quite sure the best method.
Volume I goes up to and includes Drums of Autumn. So that's safe for you to read.

Volume II continues with Book 5 Fiery Cross, up to and including Written in My Own Heart's Blood. The Lord John Series.

I suggest you read the first Volume and move once you've finished books 5-8 and Lord John. That way you'd be sure to avoid spoilers. The second volume also has a part dedicated to the StarzTV presentation of the series and the people involved.

I hope that helps some. .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:53 am 
Clan Fraser

Welcom, msmreads! Looking forward to discussing these wonderful books with you!

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.