It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: New Dunnett fan member
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:20 am 
topaz member

Hello everyone. I've just joined so as instructed I'm introducing myself. I'm a 52 year old lover of good historical fiction (along with many other genres). I have to confess I've not yet tried the Outlander books - I joined up here as a Dunnett fan because I stumbled upon the chapter by chapter discussion of Queen's Play recently, and found it very helpful - as a first time reader of that wonderful but densely written series - to read others' questions and spoiler-free thoughts as I went through the book. I wanted to say thank you at the end of the thread, and so I joined up.

Post subject: Re: New Dunnett fan member
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:15 pm 
Clan Fraser

:Melissa: Welcome gennyt! So glad you've joined us and that you found the Dunnett discussions helpful. It's OK to join even if you haven't read the Outlander books, but you might want to give them a try. They are not as densely written as TLC, but you still might find our chapter discussion threads helpful in pointing out things you might have missed.

Since you mentioned the spoiler-free threads, I will warn you that in the Outlander chapter threads, discussion of the whole book as well as previous books are allowed, so if you haven't finished one of those books, you might want to be careful to avoid spoiling later events within a book. Later books can't be discussed, so you'd be OK with that.

I look forward to chatting with you! :D

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:42 am 
Clan Fraser

Hello, gennyt, and welcome to the OBC. I'm a first-time reader of the Dunnett series and am very much enjoying the group reads, because of all the insights and explanations from experienced readers. In addition to all the commentary on the Outlander books, I have discovered many other new books through the Book of the Month threads here on the OBC. The only downside is that there is not enough time to read everything on my list.
I look forward to chatting with you.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:04 am 
topaz member

Thank you, audiobooklover and DLT, for your welcomes.

I'm always glad to meet more book enthusiasts, though I know the problem of acquiring more recommendations than I have time to read. My Dad has been enjoying the Outlander books and I'm sure I'll get round to starting them eventually, but I do have quite a stockpile already waiting to be read!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:00 pm 
emerald member

Welcome gennyt! I'm also a huge Dunnet fan, and quite new to the group. Please, keep participating in older threads, many of us are on a constant re read! And maybe you can catch up with us and Ringed Castle when it starts. People here are great! Helpful, kind, and incredibly smart and wise!!

Enviado desde mi BLU DASH X mediante Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:00 am 
emerald member

G'day gennyt and welcome. A wonderful place for anyone who loves books in general and Dunnet in particular. I thoroughly enjoy the OL books too, but Darling Dorothy is my favorite. Heather

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:08 am 
emerald member

You've found a generous team of like-minds here. And congratulations on finding not only a writer of good historical fiction, but in my view, the benchmark for all that follow. We're looking forward to having you join in the discussions and getting your views. Don't be shy!

You've joined about the same point I did - I found QP very dense, went looking for some clarifications around the politics, and found this whole wonderful forum.

I note it's your first time read - don't be drawn into Spoiler territory. You only get one chance to have this series reveal itself to you, and though many here are on their umpteenth read-through, we love hearing the impressions and questions from a first-time reader as it brings back such happy memories for us all. Enjoy,