It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: BOOKS: Giveaway - Seven Stones to Stand or Fall
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:44 am 
Clan Fraser

:flower: Stay tuned for details about the Outlander Book Club's giveaway of Seven Stones to Stand or Fall, due for release on June 27, 2017! :flower:

Post subject: Re: BOOKS: Giveaway - Seven Stones to Stand or Fall
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:24 pm 
Clan Fraser

The Outlander Book Club will be giving away one copy of
Diana Gabaldon's Seven Stones to Stand or Fall!

In order to qualify for a chance to win, please post your favorite Lord John scene.

:bagpipe: The scene can occur in any of the Outlander books in the series, including the Lord John novellas and all short stories.

:bagpipe: Each favorite scene counts as one chance.

:bagpipe: The Giveaway is open to all OBC members.

:flower: The winner will be chosen by random draw on June 27, 2017. :flower:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:19 pm 
Clan Fraser

It's hard to pick a favorite scene, since I really adore Lord John. But, just to get it started here are a couple:

When Jamie offers John his body at Helwater to thank him for taking care of young William, John laughs so hard that he falls to the ground and then comments (and I'm badly paraphrasing here) that he'll want Jamie for the rest of his life, but not unwillingly.

The scene with Brianna at River Run when he is clear that he won't marry her, but agrees to pretend to be engaged to save Bree from Jocasta's attempts at matchmaking.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:39 pm 
Clan Fraser

audiobooklover, I also love the scene with Brianna (in Drums) where he is both amused and exasperated by her arguments.

And there there is the follow-up scene at the end of ABOSAA when Brianna catches sight of William talking to John and she marches towards them to find out who this is. The book described LJ as quaking (not quacking!) like a duck, or something, which is very amusing.

Another scene I like is from the Scottish Prisoner and Jamie has just returned from being beaten up. Jamie is lying on the bed, being tended to by the maid, and LJ is sitting on the window seat, trying to be comforting and amusing. He finally says "I am sorry," meaning for all the pain that he has caused Jamie, and Jamie replies, "ego te absolvo" (or something like that).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:03 pm 
purple diamond member

My favorite is Lord John and Germain in the revolutionaries' camp after John and Jamie's fight.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:49 pm 
Clan Fraser

I like the first time we see John when he thinks he is coming to the rescue of Claire before Culloden and Jamie breaks his arm. It seems to set the pattern for the future. I doubt if any of us thought at that moment what a pivotal role John and his family would eventually play in the lives of Jamie and Claire.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:12 am 
Clan Fraser

It's so hard to choose! I love the scene of John and Percy delivering a baby in the church in Brotherhood of the Blade. (Do I have the book right? Pretty sure it's BotB).

Well, and I also love every time John calls Claire "my dear".

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 am 
Clan Fraser

I looked up the scene I had mentioned above, and John does quack!

It is in chapter 116 of ABOSAA: The Ninth Earl of Ellesmere.

Lord John turned his head slightly and caught sight of her. His eyes bulged and a look of absolute horror blanched his features. He made a feeble flapping notion with one hand, trying to stop her coming nearer, but he might as well have tried to stop the Cornish Express.
"Hello there!" she said brightly. "Fancy meeting you here, Lord John!"
Lord John made a faint quacking noise, like a stepped on duck...

I can just imagine poor John's terror, and Brianna's determination to find out what is going on. Once William and Roger have left, John just says, "Yes, he is," knowing the question Brianna is about to ask.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:55 pm 
emerald member

Granted I haven't read them all, but my favorite so far is from Custom of the Army, where LJ is beating up Stubbs after finding out he fathered a child with an Indian woman...

"It's nothing out of the ordinary -- it's the bloody custom, for God's sake. Everybody--"
He kneed Stubbs in the balls.
"Try again," he advised Stubbs, who had fallen down and was curled into a fetal position, moaning. "Take your time; I'm not busy."

I also loved the scene (don't have it to hand) in Brotherhood of the Blade where he is 'negotiating' with Percy over a certain act. I'm hoping someone else has it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:26 pm 
Clan Fraser

As a kind of general statement, I also love all the scenes of John with babies and small children. He's so good with them even though he never had his own offspring and didn't become William's step-father until William was 6. One that comes to mind is in LJ and the Succubus when he meets the young son (whose name I don't recall at the moment) in the hall at night when he was frightened and John comforts him. There's also a scene with his three nephews after his duel in Scottish Prisoner, I believe, when they are jumping on the bed around him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:07 pm 
Clan Fraser

Great choices, everyone. :clap: Lord John's dry sense of humor and good-natured disposition have always appealed to me.

Keep sharing your favorite Lord John scenes! :flower:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:54 am 
emerald member

Good choices everyone. I have only read some of the LJ books but among others...I love the scenes with LJ & his brother, scenes with Dottie ( I can only concur with his gift for dealing with children) and the scene where he & Claire consummate their marriage. A really strange threesome that one!
Good luck everybody!
Heather

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:39 pm 
Clan Fraser

I have to say that I love whenever John Grey appears, but my favorite scene is from Lord John and the Haunted Soldier in the collection of stories in The Hand of Devils. It hinges on the point when Lord John's body finally ejects a piece of shrapnel from his body; the process of recovery transforms him. He develops a renewed perspective on the situation with Jamie and John writes a letter to Jamie which he never mails. It is that scene with the letter that is a turning point, and one of my favorite Lord John moments.
I recall having written on this scene before and so I searched for it. Here is a snippet from the post.

Nigheandubh wrote:
"You are true north." O my. This realization is tremendous. It seems like the first time that John admires Jamie as an individual with high integrity instead of an object of lust.

I found this quote extraordinary in its sincerity. When John is with Jamie, he experiences true north. Even with Stapleton, John can be who he is.
"You despise me; Stapleton would use me. And yet, when I am with you or with him, I am myself, without pretense, without the masks that most men wear in commerce with their fellows." p. 301

I feel so sad for John. People either use him or despise him.
These sentiments are very important, though. John will seek to reach true north in the rest of the novels.

Doesn't it seem like John travels with Jamie in his very being? Jamie's visage, his name indelibly imprinted in John's heart. Perhaps it would be fair to say that the haunted soldier is John.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:01 pm 
sapphire member

My favourite is when John informs Jamie that he's had 'carnal knowledge' of his wife...oooohhh, that took courage to tell him! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:22 pm 
Clan Fraser

I thought of another favourite LJ scene. It's from The Scottish Prisoner, and it is when John goes out to the park to find Jamie, who has stormed out of the house after coming face to face with Hal and Harry Quarry. John has not seen Jamie since that explosive encounter at Helwater (in Brotherhood of the Blade), but he summons all his diplomatic skill, approaches the glowering Jamie and offers to be his second, should Jamie choose to call out Quarry. He then goes on to say that he would be Quarry's second too, as the rules allow it, and should Jamie and Quarry kill each other, John would fall on his own sword in a form of vengeance. He makes the whole situation sound so ridiculous that he manages to defuse Jamie while bringing some humour into the situation.