It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:20 am

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: MOBY: Chapter 145: And You Know That
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 pm 
Clan Fraser

:bagpipe: As of the beginning of the Written in My Own Heart's Blood rekilt, all books currently published (as of 1/2016) are open for discussion. The spoiler policy can be found here. Please do not discuss excerpts from Diana's Daily Lines related to book 9 or any other not yet published works in the MOBY discussion threads. To discuss excerpts of upcoming works, see the threads here.

Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon
Part 9: “Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh ceol agus gaol.”
"The world may come to an end, but love and music will endure."
Chapter 145: And You Know That

The final chapter of the book!

Jamie returns after three days, with a large buck that he’s shot. He asks Claire if Ian is around, but Claire informs him that Ian is probably too busy with his new son to help Jamie. Jamie is very pleased to hear about the baby, and asks after Rachel’s welfare as well.

Jamie seems very tired. He and Claire embrace, and Claire observes that being married means drawing strength from one another. A lovely moment.

The next morning, Claire and Jamie head up to the site of the new house to continue construction. Jamie asks whether Claire would like a third story to the house, as the walls will be strong enough to support an additional floor, but Claire doesn’t think that they’ll need that much room. After all, she’s seen that having many extra rooms “might just encourage guests” – which Jamie thinks sounds like white ants (termites).

Claire admires Jamie’s physique as he works on the house, shirtless. Despite being older now, Jamie is still strong and muscular, and Claire also appreciates that Jamie must feel safe there in order to work so freely without a shirt.

Finally, they get to the heart of the matter. Claire tells Jamie simply:

“I wish you hadn’t felt you had to do it.”

Jamie reminds Claire of their wedding vows, which include the protection of his body. He points out that even if Claire had truly forgiven the man, he still must answer for his crimes. Jamie reminds Claire:

“… Sassenach – I am the true home of your heart, and I know that.” He adds: “I have loved others, and I do love many, Sassenach – but you alone hold all my heart, whole in your hands,” he said softly. “And you know that.”

Jamie and Claire continued work all day, taking a break later in the afternoon to enjoy some cider and apples, and discuss the possible names for Ian and Rachel’s baby, currently still being called Oggie. They wonder whether Ian’s suggestion of the name Wolf is really meant to be a tribute to Rollo.

They notice a small group arriving up the wagon road, two adults and two children. Possibly new settlers? Jamie is amused to note that the boy has red hair, which reminds him of Jem. The little girl drops a doll on the ground. The man calls out to the Higgins cabin with a cracked but strong voice. Jamie and Claire start to react. The woman removes her hat to reveal long red hair. Jamie and Claire recognize the family, and race down the hill to greet them with open arms.

THE END.

Thoughts/question:

- Does the conversation between Jamie and Claire satisfy you in regard to the reappearance of Claire’s rapist? Does Jamie have good reason to do what he did? Is Claire’s response reasonable? Is Jamie Claire’s army?
- How do Jamie’s actions relate to his statement about being the “true home” of Claire’s heart?
- We see little reminders of Jamie and Claire getting older, as we’ve had throughout the book. How do you feel, seeing them age?
- Were you shocked by the appearance of Bree, Roger, and the children?

Finally:

Overall, what do you make of this chapter (and section) as a finale to MOBY? Do you feel satisfied with the way this book wrapped up?

Please share your thoughts on this chapter, as well as on your rekilt reading experience as a whole.

THANK YOU to one and all who participated in the MOBY rekilt over these past 18 months. It’s been a true pleasure to experience this wonderful book with all of you!

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

Post subject: Re: MOBY: Chapter 145: And You Know That
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:34 am 
Clan Fraser

Thanks Lisa. I think this is the best of all the book endings DG has written. Although pleased the saga will continue, in some ways I would have been happy with that ending if no books were to follow. Everyone is together again at last, wrongs have been righted, there is peace in their lives and their extended families are growing. However many times I read the ending of this book it always brings tears of hapiness to my eyes.

I just hate the thought that there will be more turmoil and tragedy to come.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:56 am 
Clan Fraser

Thank you Lisa for giving us a wonderful summary to exit MOBY.
Suec, I loved this ending too.
Lisa SF wrote:
“… Sassenach – I am the true home of your heart, and I know that.” He adds: “I have loved others, and I do love many, Sassenach – but you alone hold all my heart, whole in your hands,” he said softly. “And you know that.”
I love this quotation. It reminded me of a song by Owl City that's so appropriate:
If My Heart Was a House Owl City

You're the sky that I fell through
And I remember the view whenever I'm holding you
The sun hung from a string
Looking down on the world as it warmed over everything
Chills run down my spine as our fingers intwine
And your sides harmonize with mine
Unmistakably I can still feel your heart
Beat fast when you dance with me

We got older and I should have known
(Do you feel alive?)
That I'd feel colder when I walk alone
(Oh, but you'll survive)
So I may as well ditch my dismay
(Bombs away Bombs away)

Circle me and the needles moves gracefully
Back and forth, if my heart was a compass you'd be North
Risk it all cause I'll catch you if you fall
Wherever you go, if my heart was a house you'd be home

It makes me smile because you said it best
I would clearly feel blessed if the sun rose up from the west
Flower balm perfume, all my clothes smell like you
Cause your favorite shade is navy blue

I walk slowly when I'm on my own
(Do you feel alive?)
Yeah, but frankly I still feel alone
(Oh, but you'll survive)
So I may as well ditch my dismay
(Bombs away Bombs away)

Circle me and the needles moves gracefully
Back and forth, if my heart was a compass you'd be North
Risk it all cause I'll catch you if you fall
Wherever you go, if my heart was a house you'd be home

If my heart was a house, you'd be home

If My Heart Was a House

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:34 am 
Clan Fraser

That's lovely, ND. Thanks -- I need to go listen to the song!

Suec, you've put it so well. It's so heartwarming to see the family safe, together, and at peace for the moment. I agree, it's troubling to think that more turmoil is on the way!

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:35 am 
Clan Fraser

I agree about this being a good ending, but I am still anxious to see what will happen next and to hear about how the MacKenzies made it back to the Ridge (and to find out what's in Bree's bag! :bigsmile:). I get teary every time I get to the end too. And, as I mentioned before, I just discussed this book over three months (March-May), so I've been through it twice quite recently.

This time through, I was thinking that putting a third floor on teh house would make it much more like Lallybroch, which would be fitting with Jenny, Roger and Brianna all here now. I wonder if they'll end up discussing that and building this house to be similar.

Lovely lyrics, ND.

On my first read, I wasn't expecting to see Roger, Bree and the kids here, but I'm glad we did.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:25 am 
Clan Fraser

Sue, I agree that this is a lovely ending, with everybody safe and reunited, although we still have so many questions that need resolving. I can't wait to hear how Bree and Roger got there, and how they resolve the 20th century crisis. And so much more!

I guess they will end up putting a third storey on the house, as they never seem to have enough room for people. I can't help thinking that the house will take a long time to build if it is just Jamie and Claire doing it on their own.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:18 pm 
Clan Fraser

I think because the previous book had so many cliff hangers, the ending to MOBY was far more satisfactory. Yes it will be good to hear how Roger and Bree returned to the past and if their 20th century troubles are behind them for good but I don't feel as though I am desperate to find out what happened as I was at the end of the previous book.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:01 pm 
Clan Fraser

Oh gosh Yes! Much better than the ending of Echo with all those cliffhangers!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:37 am 
Clan Fraser

Wonderful ending. Thank you for concluding the rekikt for us, Lisa SF, and for organizing the chapter summaries over the last 18 months. :clap:

Mention of cherry bounce reminded me of the early days on the Ridge. It was a relief to have the family reunited again. I wasn't sure what I was expecting for the last chapter, but was satisfied with this ending. We shall see what happens next! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:13 pm 
Clan Fraser

Lisa, ditto on what Lady Jayne said.