It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:21 am

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: MOBY: Chapter 143 Interruptus
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:03 am 
Clan Fraser

]Image

:bagpipe: As of the beginning of the Written in My Own Heart's Blood rekilt, all books currently published (as of 1/2016) are open for discussion. The spoiler policy can be found here. Please do not discuss excerpts from Diana's Daily Lines related to book 9 or any other not yet published works in the MOBY discussion threads. To discuss excerpts of upcoming works, see the threads here.

Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon
Part 9 "Thig Carioca air an t-saoghal ach mairidh cell agus gaol."
Chapter 143 Interruptus

Claire visits Rachel who is heavily pregnant and looking forward to her labour starting. Marsali should have had her baby by now and Claire is waiting for news of that arrival too

Jamie and Claire take their quilts up to the new house site after supper to enjoy the evening and have some privacy. Claire awakes from an erotic dream and touches herself as Jamie sleeps. He doesn't sleep for long however and they make love again under the stars.

As they lay together afterwards Jamie quotes a poem called "to an Excellent Penis" and tells Claire it was written by Bonnie Prince Charlie's Gaelic tutor, Alasdair.

They fall asleep once again and when Claire wakes in the morning, Jamie is gone.

On your first read through did you wonder where Jamie had gone and why he had left Claire alone?

Claire has mixed feelings about poets like Alasdair. On the one hand stirring the flames that led to the defeat at Culloden and on the other, sustaining the memories. Have you any thoughts on the role of poets, singers or artists who use their talents in this way?

Post subject: Re: MOBY: Chapter 143 Interruptus
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:55 am 
Clan Fraser

Yes, I think on my first read I did wonder where Jamie had gone and I was surprised that he'd leave Claire alone like that. I was also a little surprised that he managed to rise to the occasion twice in one night (and even he joked that it wouldn't happen a third time :bigsmile:).

I haven't really thought about the role of poets/singers/artists, but I'd think they do more in the aftermath for memory. I tend to think of stirring the flames as speeches/orations that would more likely be prose and by inspiring speakers. That's not always true, of course, but that tends to be more of what I think of in that role. I wonder if Diana Gabaldon came across that poem and wanted to use it in some way for the amusement value, so she created a scene and a bit more thought to it, ;)

Claire asks about animals before they sleep outside, but they regularly camp outdoors while hunting or traveling (it took more than one day to go each way on the trip to the trading post, for example), so it seemed strange for her to suddenly be concerned about sleeping outdoors. Did she think Jamie wouldn't build a fire and fire is usually their protection? :thinking:

I'm always amused by just how forthright Rachel is and how much she shares with Claire. She didn't need to mention the suckling in terms of reasons Ian was anxious for the baby to come: wanting the baby there after his experiences with Emily alone would be enough, and her waking him at night and the baby kicking were more than enough explanation. I am glad that she is so comfortable sharing things with Claire despite the age difference and Claire being a member of Ian's family who helped raise him (which could make it awkward for some people).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:12 am 
Clan Fraser

audiobooklover wrote:
I was also a little surprised that he managed to rise to the occasion twice in one night (and even he joked that it wouldn't happen a third time :bigsmile:).

Me too. Don't they have arthritis and stiff limbs from all that sleeping on the ground?

I'm not sure what I thought first time round (my memory no longer stretches back that far), but this time, the scene read like something that was included just for the sake of having them enjoy the peace on the ridge. Maybe DG did want to use the poem, so she created a mmph scene around it, but I noticed more the contrast between J&C together, then in the morning he is gone. This seems to be a significant fact, so we need to have seen them together beforehand. (Not sure if I am making sense here.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:43 am 
Clan Fraser

Actually, on my recent listen (in late April or early May), what surprised me was in the previous chapter when they went to the site of the new house and Jamie didn't go off while Claire slept, since I remembered this from previous reads and was prepared for it. I hadn't remembered that there were two scenes there before he left.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:00 pm 
Clan Fraser

Thank you for the summary, Suec. Very nicely presented.

I thought that Claire was prodding Rachel too much for answers. I suppose that Rachel felt she could tell Claire since she is a doctor and has been helpful in such matters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:55 pm 
Clan Fraser

Suec, great summary!

ND, I did also feel that Claire was pushing Rachel in an odd direction in the conversation. This is the first time we've seen Rachel using Ghaidlig, as far as I recall. Good for her! Just like with Claire, learning the language will help her really feel like one of the clan. Interesting conversation, too, about plain speech and the derivation of the "thee" form.

It's nice to see the ongoing passion between Claire and Jamie. They do seem eternal, don't they?

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:51 am 
Clan Fraser

Thanks for the summary Suec. The chapters are getting shorter as we near the end of the book. It seems like they could have been combined.

I was thinking of "things coming into view" from the previous chapter and all the new babies waiting to be born - Lizzie's, Rachel's, and Marsali's.

It was strange for Jamie to leave Claire alone, which was a clue for me that something was off.