It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: MOBY: Chapter 138: Fanny’s Frenulum
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:15 am 
Clan Fraser

:bagpipe: As of the beginning of the Written in My Own Heart's Blood rekilt, all books currently published (as of 1/2016) are open for discussion. The spoiler policy can be found here. Please do not discuss excerpts from Diana's Daily Lines related to book 9 or any other not yet published works in the MOBY discussion threads. To discuss excerpts of upcoming works, see the threads here.

Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon
Part 9: “Thig cricoh air an t-saoghal ach mairidh ceol agus gaol.”
Chapter 138: Fanny’s Frenulum

Jamie’s first order of business upon returning to the ridge is to see that the preparations for the new house are in in place, and to meet with and catch up with all the tenants on the ridge, to reassert his position as founder and proprietor. He discovers that his stash of whisky is safe, and brings a bottle back for trading.

Claire’s first order of business, after organising her medical equipment and talking to the women of the ridge, is to attend to Fanny’s frenulum, the piece of skin that holds the tongue in place, which was too tight in Fanny’s case, preventing her tongue from moving freely.

Claire performs the procedure outside, due to the many observers, with Jenny holding a mirror to direct light into Fanny’s mouth, and Jamie holding Fanny still. Fanny has drunk several glasses of whisky, to numb her mouth. Claire makes a quick snip, and after a minute or so the bleeding slows, and Fanny is able to move her tongue, a new sensation. She thanks Claire, in amazement.

Given how quick and easy this procedure is, why did Claire wait until they were back on the ridge? She surely could have done it at her surgery in Savannah, or at any of the places along the way.

Post subject: Re: MOBY: Chapter 138: Fanny’s Frenulum
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:43 pm 
Clan Fraser

I wondered the same thing, DLT, about why Claire waited to get to the Ridge to do the surgery on Fanny's Frenulum. I suppose they were in a bit of a rush to get out of Savannah and didn't want to worry about how Fanny might be if there were complications? :thinking: Honestly, I think the real reason is that DG was done with what she wanted (saw in her mind?) happening in Savannah and was ready to move the characters back to the Ridge and having something medical to start with on the Ridge helped Claire back into her routine and her place as the doctor in the area.

It's kind of amusing how Claire's medical procedures are a spectator "sport" which has happened before with tooth removals and such. No TV or internet back then. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:43 pm 
Clan Fraser

It's nice to see everyone settling back in on the Ridge, even though nothing much is happening. Still, Jamie is reeestablishing himself as Himself :) and Claire is reestablishing herself as physician.

I agree that it's funny to see how the medical procedures are entertainment -- and how matter-of-fact Claire is about moving the procedure outside so there will be enough room for those who want to watch. Luckily, it's a smooth and easy procedure. Fanny seems to trust Jamie and Claire completely already.

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:00 pm 
topaz member

audiobooklover wrote:

It's kind of amusing how Claire's medical procedures are a spectator "sport" which has happened before with tooth removals and such. No TV or internet back then. :lol:

At this point they don't even have books because of what burned up in the fire--- short of Clair's inherited medical book.
It makes me wonder what happened to Jaime's protestant Bible... has it been brought up since Roger was on the ridge?

I have a feeling Fanny was fine having plenty of witnesses to her surgery.... wasn't she scared a doctor was going to try to steal her whole tongue or something??? The more witnesses to protect her the better :rotfl:

With that said, on a personal note I was actually born with the same problem as Fanny =D
It didn't get cut it till I was like 3 though because I had other medical issues I was born with and to protect my immune system and blood the put that on the back burner because of about a dozen other very high priority surgeries they had to do when I was a baby. I was old enough to remember the surgery----they put me under for it, but who ever put me under didn't bother waiting till I was fully asleep to snip snip... so I actually remember the whole thing, but I was paralyzed and couldn't do anything about it (It luckily didn't hurt too much and lasted only about a minute, and I fell asleep immediately afterwards). It just creepy that almost 3 decades later I can still close my eyes and feel the cold metal implements in my mouth and the feeling of the blade cutting it.
I did have a minor speech impediment for while- but I had the surgery done while I was so young I quickly out grew it--- I feel Fanny might have a more difficult time of it though.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:19 pm 
Clan Fraser

Wow, Bluesnow, what an experience. It must have been so scary to actually feel the snip. It sounds like that is one of your earliest memories. I'm glad it worked out OK for you, and I hope the other medical issues were also resolved.
It is interesting your mentioning that you had a minor speech impediment for a while. I suppose the tongue and the mouth take some time to re-learn the sounds of words. I wonder if Fanny will speak with a lisp for a few more chapters (I can't remember). It will give her a huge boost of confidence, once she can talk like everybody else.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:20 am 
purple diamond member

Hi everyone, just visiting after having abandoned this group read for the last 70 or so chapters.

Anyway, when I read Bluesnow's memory of the operation it reminded me that I actually witnessed this operation once (so I was on the spectator side of it). My mother was a dental hygienist and as a result I got to spend lots of time hanging out in dental offices when I was a kid. That's how it happened that I was around one day when they were performing that same operation on a young girl. I don't know why they let me watch. I doubt that I was useful in any way. Anyway, the girl was around my age which would have been between 7 and 10 (I don't remember exactly) and she was wide awake. The procedure was done under a local anaesthetic like any other dental procedure. It was fast and simple: the dentist took a scissors and made a quick snip and then she had lots of blood in her mouth and it was all done.

Donne-moi mille baisers, et puis cent, et puis mille autres, puis une seconde fois cent, puis encore mille autres, puis cent.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:57 pm 
Clan Fraser

Thanks for your summary, DLT.
DLT wrote:
Given how quick and easy this procedure is, why did Claire wait until they were back on the ridge? She surely could have done it at her surgery in Savannah, or at any of the places along the way.
I would think that although it wasn't a complicated procedure, I think everyone needed to be somewhere that they didn't have to worry. I suppose the priority was leaving Savannah. Claire wasn't sure if she'd have to put a suture inside the mouth.

audiobooklover wrote:
It's kind of amusing how Claire's medical procedures are a spectator "sport" which has happened before with tooth removals and such. No TV or internet back then.

I always enjoy the procedures described in the book. I feel like I'm learning something, not to mention that I am fascinated. Although I don't watch live operations on TV, I can understand the allure even in reading about it.

Bluesnow, so sorry you had to undergo the surgeries and still remember bits of it so vividly.

Naomi, I wonder if that little girl, who was also your age, was comforted by having you in there. That may have been why you were asked to step inside.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:34 am 
purple diamond member

You know, perhaps she was. I don't know. If anything it made me feel like a voyeur, like I was watching something I shouldn't see so I'm not sure how I comforted her.

As for the story, I think it makes sense to wait for the procedure till they got home. It wasn't urgent: Fanny wasn't in pain, her life wasn't in danger, and waiting a few months more or less wouldn't make a major difference.

Donne-moi mille baisers, et puis cent, et puis mille autres, puis une seconde fois cent, puis encore mille autres, puis cent.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:48 pm 
sapphire member

I hadn't questioned before why it took so long for Claire to get around to fixing Fanny's tongue. I think I had underestimated how much time they had spent in Savannah and just assumed she'd been too busy. I feel that it was probably more symbolic of Fanny being in a safe place and part of the family now so she can have this new life transition with some stability around her.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:14 pm 
Clan Fraser

This chapter really helps Claire and Jamie get settled back on the Ridge. It was sweet of Jamie to think to put Franny to bed after her surgery. He really has taken to her and given her the type of parental protection she has never known. The very last sentence of this chapter notes that when Franny lays her head on Jamie's shoulder there is "a tiny drooling line of blood trickling from the corner of her mouth onto his shirt." There is a special moment captured here reminiscent of a loving father comforting his sleepy child who completely trusts him. :hug: