It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: MOBY: Chapter 137: In The Wilderness A Lodging Place
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:59 am 
Clan Fraser

:bagpipe: As of the beginning of the Written in My Own Heart's Blood rekilt, all books currently published (as of 1/2016) are open for discussion. The spoiler policy can be found here. Please do not discuss excerpts from Diana's Daily Lines related to book 9 or any other not yet published works in the MOBY discussion threads. To discuss excerpts of upcoming works, see the threads here.

Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon
Part 9: “Thig cricoh air an t-saoghal ach mairidh ceol agus gaol.”
Chapter 137: In The Wilderness A Lodging Place

Jamie and Claire arrive at the trail leading to Fraser’s Ridge, and Claire is breathing in all the scents of the familiar woodland. Her happiness has been increasing every day that they get closer to home. They stop to kiss, then realise there is company, who turns out to be Joseph Weymiss and his grandson Rodney, who have walked to the trailhead every day for the last week, waiting for Himself and his people to arrive.

Jamie lifts Joseph up in a big welcoming hug, while Claire admits to Rodney that yes, she is the conjure woman, and realises that she likes the title. Rodney has clearly heard tales of Himself, and is expecting a giant and he studies Jamie with interest; he then catches sight of Ian leading Rachel on Clarence, and wonders if that is Mary and Joseph on their way to Egypt. Jamie and Joseph are chattering happily about the ridge and Claire ascertains from Rodney that his mother, Lizzie, is still married to the two Beardsleys and is expecting her fourth child. Rodney tells her that Amy Higgins has food waiting for them, but then he is eager to run ahead and be the first to spread the news of the arrival.

Jamie and Claire pause on the last corner leading to the main part of the ridge, where their new house will be built, and Jamie takes her hand.
“I’ve brought ye home, Sassenach,” he says, his voice a little husky. “It willna be the same—and I canna say how things will be now—but I’ve kept my word.”
They stand together, waiting to go round the final corner, when they are greeted by Adso the cat, who welcomes them home by dropping a rat at Claire’s feet.

Meaning of section title: The world will come to an end, but music and love will endure.

When Claire leaves the ridge, she is crying for leaving Adso, and for all that she has lost. Now that she returns, he causes her to cry again, but with joy, for all that they will regain

The mention of the houses that are visible from the path leading to the ridge makes me think that the settlement has developed somewhat during the time the Frasers have been gone. Previously the houses had seemed to be quite separate from each other, but this feels more like they are closer together.

I wonder if they will be able to settle back into life on the ridge, or whether the will find it (or themselves) too changed.

Post subject: Re: MOBY: Chapter137: In The Wilderness A Lodging Place
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:07 pm 
Clan Fraser

C!aire seems so happy to be home. The Ridge really is their true home and I suppose that means we will probably never see them in Scotland again which is a shame.
I wonder how easily Jamie will be able to reassert his authority after his absence? Having said that he is the landlord to his tenants if no longer their Laird so he will hold some powers over more recent incomers.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:09 pm 
Clan Fraser

I'm so happy to see the family back at the Ridge where they belong. So much has changed for them, and they'll have plenty of changes to adapt to as they settle back in. I love the description of Claire breathing in the mountain air. You can practically taste her joy as she returns home.

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:11 pm 
Clan Fraser

It really was wonderful to see them returning home to the Ridge. And, greeting Joseph and Rodney.

I thought the same, DLT, about how Claire cried over Adso when they left and now cried over him as they returned. This is another bookend moment, though the other end of this one goes back to Echo. I mentioned the bookend moments with William within this book. Actually, having Lizzie pregnant again is another sort of bookend moment, since Claire delivered her daughter right before leaving the Ridge at the beginning of Echo. [Oh, and this is one more pregnant woman, along with Rachel, Marsali and Dottie. What are the chances that we'll discover that Brianna is pregnant again? Or Amy Higgins? Seems to be lots of breeding going on. :bigsmile: ]

There's mention of Ian and Rachel coming, followed by Jenny with Fanny on Miranda, but Germain isn't mentioned here, which I thought was odd. He's mentioned in the first paragraph of the next chapter, so he definitely came with them, but I think omitting him in this chapter was an editing glitch.