It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 8:19 pm

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: MOBY. Chapter 134 Last Rites
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:56 am 
Clan Fraser

:bagpipe: As of the beginning of the Written in My Own Heart's Blood rekilt, all books currently published (as of 1/2016) are open for discussion. The spoiler policy can be found here. Please do not discuss excerpts from Diana's Daily Lines related to book 9 or any other not yet published works in the MOBY discussion threads. To discuss excerpts of upcoming works, see the threads here.

Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon
Part 8: Search and Rescue
Chapter 134 Last Rites

Jamie returns home to Claire and briefly tells her that Jane is dead. He feels for William. "Oh, Jesus, my poor lad."

In the morning William arrives bringing Fanny with him. Jamie takes her in his arms and tells William he will care for her. William wants to claim Jamie's body but as that isn't possible, Jamie tells him he will see to it.

Claire takes Fanny to Colonel Campbell and tells him, as Jane's sister, Fanny wishes to claim her body for burial. Fanny is angry with the Colonel and Claire decides to beat a retreat just as Lord John is announced. He has come on the same errand, to claim Jane's body. Claire and Fanny wait in the garden and John arrives to tell them he has been successful and that he knows of a family with a small private cemetery where Jane can be buried. He is very kind and gentle with Fanny.

Claire tells John of Richardson's visit to her surgery and that he has changed sides and is also aware of John's homosexuality. She also tells John the news about Amaranthus in Saperville.

All the family come with Fanny to bury Jane. As there is no priest or minister Jamie speaks a Gaelic prayer. As they leave Claire sees William who gives his horse to Fanny and walks away having had Claire confirm she will care for the girl.

Jamie tells Claire that they will also be taking Germain back to the Ridge with them. Marsali believes he will be safer away from the war.

Another sad chapter. Jane is dead. Germain will soon be gone from his family, William is still partly lost to both his fathers and John could lose his life if his homosexuality is publicised. The image of a straight backed John walking away from Claire was very moving. I do hope that is not a foreboding picture.

We got confirmation here that the wider family know Claire is a TT or at least has knowledge of forthcoming events. The numbers who know this are growing slowly. Do you think this wider knowledge holds any dangers for Claire further down the line?

Please add your thoughts and comments on this chapter.

Post subject: Re: MOBY. Chapter 134 Last Rites
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:52 am 
sapphire member

I also caught that little line "Ye told them, Sassenach, what the war would be, and how long it would last." I did wonder how that scene played out. Apparently, they believed her. I suppose Ian was there to vouch for the things that he had seen which added credence to Claire's story. I did wonder how far the news would travel when they got back to the Ridge.

It was a touching scene between John and Claire now that they trust each other. I wonder if that trust will lead to him believing Claire's time travel story. We recently had a thread about why Frank didn't believe Claire, but it's just as relevant to ask why John didn't believe Claire and Brianna. He has had no reason to suspect they are dishonest or delusional.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:55 am 
Clan Fraser

Thanks for the summary, Suec, and for pointing out that Fergus and Marsali must know that Claire is a TT. I had not spotted that. I like the way John and Claire can be frank with each other - they are good friends. Poor John; he has kept his secret for so long, and this is the first time he feels threatened by who he is. I hope he and Claire meet again.

William has a chance here to see Jamie as a fatherly, protecting figure. He sees Jamie hugging Fanny, and presumably he has seen enough of the funeral to know that Jamie was respectful of Jane. He must also have noticed Lord John was present, and thus be beginning to accept that both his fathers are friends. I wonder if William noticed John talking to Ian and Fergus?

Poor Marsali, to lose another son so soon. It is probably a good idea to send Germain out of the city and up to the ridge. We already saw the mischief he got up to in Philadelphia.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:15 am 
Clan Fraser

It would be nice if Fergus and Marsali were finally in on the family secrets! On the other hand, there's always been the cover story that Claire is a seer -- so it's possible that that's still what they believe. But I'd like to think that the family as a whole knows the truth.

I do find that image of John so touching. Such a wonderful man. Like DLT, I love the relationship between John and Claire, and the affection and trust they share.

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:57 am 
Clan Fraser

:agree: I think there's been a lot of trust between Claire and John for a while now and I'm glad they had time to talk (without Jamie around). That does not in any way mean that I think it's at all strange that John wouldn't believe the time travel story. I mean the idea of time travel from 200 years in the future seems crazy, so why would he believe them? I think most people wouldn't believe it. Seeing them as seers would fit better with the beliefs at that time, but my guess is that John will believe them once Major Andre is arrested for spying and hanged just as Claire has told him will happen. I think that was set up by DG for that purpose. Or at least that's my guess.

I suspect that Claire has told Fergus and Marsal the truth. She told the Murrays while they were at Lallybroch in order to warn Michael to get out of France before the revolution there, so I don't think they'd hide it from Fergus and Marsali any longer either. Or at least that's how I interpreted that line, too. I don't expect it to spread through much more of the population of the Ridge though. They are keeping it to family and very close friends - like John - but I don't think they'd spread it to more casual friends or neighbors.

I found it a little strange that when William brought Fanny to Jamie and Claire initially there seemed to be the understanding that the Frasers would keep her and take care of her - Jamie told her she was home now - and then William asked Claire again at the end of the funeral if they would care for her. I suspect that might have been an issue of the scenes being written at different times, but I suppose one could argue that William wanted to make sure once more that Fanny was safe.

I thought a bit about why William brought Fanny to Claire and Jamie rather than to Lord John who would also certainly have taken care of her. I decided that it was largely because of Claire. It seems more natural for a young girl to be raised by a married couple than by a single man newly reactivated by the military (though he and Hal will soon have Amaranthus and her baby on their hands). I also think in terms of DG's intentions, that the introduction of Jane and Fanny - or at least how their story arc progressed - was intended to bring a young girl into Claire and Jamie's lives. There are several boys around that age that will be on the Ridge soon - Germain, Aidan, Jem - but the girls all seem to be younger - Mandy, Lizzie's daughter whose name escapes me - so I think for future storylines, DG wanted to have a girl also and that's why Fanny ended up with them and will be heading to the Ridge. This is based on nothing more than my random thoughts on the matter, but I think it makes sense and might explain structurally why Jane and Fanny ended up in Savannah, since I don't think it makes much sense in terms of logic for them to be there (they could have rejoined the army in NY easily enough if rejoining the army was the goal).

Gotta run, but those are my ramblings for the morning. :bigsmile:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:14 am 
topaz member

@Vala- I think John is the type who prides himself in his ability to rationalize things. Thats not to say he's incapable of believing in Time Travel or other super natural elements- but he would much prefer to find a more rational solution to it first.
Throughout the series they mention "Blessed are those who believe without seeing"- but John is the type of person who needs to see first.
With that said... I have read the Lord John books and have some other opinions on the matter, but I don't think I'm aloud to share them here. I have tried to avoid talking about John in these threads at all because I can't remember which things were mentioned in his books, and which things are mentioned in the main series.

@audiobooklover: I feel like William brought Fanny to Jaime and Claire was because they helped him try to save Jane while John did not in this situation. John valued Williams safety and reputation and didn't even bother to humor an escape plan- his Plan A was to get William drunk and help him emotionally accept the death of the girl and move past it. It alludes to a few chapters back when John and Hal are surprised thinking William ran off with some whores- while Jaime doesn't believe his son is that stupid. John doesn't completely understand Williams feelings towards Jane- he's not really in love with a whore on a romantic level... he feels obligated to protect her though. Jaime fully understand the concept of protecting a woman in distress and agrees to help William without even fully knowing whats going on. I think William gave Fanny to Jaime because he felt Jaime more strongly understand his emotions in this situation.

John is also a single man who is currently actively serving in war which would make caring for her a little difficult. There's also the issue of his reputation... I mean... what's his name (the kid with the M for murder on his face) left because he felt it would stain Lord John's reputation. He of course did this of his own free will out of consideration of Lord John's reputation- John did not ask him to leave- but having Fanny live with him would be an issue in that regard.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:37 am 
Clan Fraser

Bluesnow - No worries about spoilers, all the Lord John books are fair game in this section. You can read our spoiler policy to know for sure what can be discussed in each section.

Also, I respectfully disagree about why John didn't help William try to rescue Jane and Jamie did. John (and Hal) were there as officers in the British Army and it was the British Army that was holding Jane, who had confessed to murder. For them to have helped remove her from the army's custody would have been going against their positions as officers and their honor. Jamie, on the other hand, is not currently in any military - and certainly not the British military - so even though getting caught would have had consequences for him and his family, it's not at all the same situation for him. I think John does understand William very well (as well as Jamie does) and he certainly understands the concept of protecting a woman in distress (very soon we'll see him - and Hal - deal with Amaranthus, for example).

Bobby Higgins is the man with the M on his face and I don't think the situations are comparable. If William had given Fanny to John, I'm sure John would have hired a woman as governess for her or whatever, or possibly sent her to Minnie, but I think William decided on Claire and Jamie because he knew "Mother Claire" would take care of her as well as Jamie, and that's why I said it made more sense to have her with a married couple than with a single active military officer.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:32 am 
sapphire member

I wasn't so much suggesting that John should have believed Claire and Brianna as making the observation that Frank and John tend to be judged differently, especially by female readers. I've noticed male readers often have deep sympathy for Frank. Although, if anything, I would think it would be more likely for John to believe the story than Frank since he has two people that he knows fairly well telling it to him. Surely they can't both be lying or delusional!