It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: MOBY: Chapter 129: Invasion
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:15 am 
Clan Fraser

:bagpipe: As of the beginning of the Written in My Own Heart's Blood rekilt, all books currently published (as of 1/2016) are open for discussion. The spoiler policy can be found here. Please do not discuss excerpts from Diana's Daily Lines related to book 9 or any other not yet published works in the MOBY discussion threads. To discuss excerpts of upcoming works, see the threads here.

Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon
Part 8: Search and Rescue
Chapter 129: Invasion

December 29 was the Capture of Savannah. Claire and Jamie hear the guns, so Jamie goes to bring Marsali, Jenny and the children back. After Rachel tells Claire that Ian went with Fergus, they head to her surgery where they have stored much of their food, as well as Claire’s medical supplies. She gives pox cures to a couple of whores that she knows who were waiting at the surgery, but also brings powdered mold and Roquefort cheese back with her.

They all return to chaos of people and items, so Jamie leaves to get information while the women organize. He returns to say the fighting had ended and that he had correctly predicted that the British would surround the Americans. Fergus and Marsali had not yet started the L’Oignon, only having been printing handbills and such, so they should be reasonably safe.

Fergus and Ian arrive with news that a black slave showed the British troops a path through the swamp to allow a regiment of Highlanders to get around the Americans and this reminds them all of Prestonpans. In some ways this was good because few men were killed. The army is likely to be staying for a long time.

- Did you know much about the capture of Savannah before reading this book? Personally, I know very little about the southern part of the Revolutionary War. :scared: I didn’t find the information on the black slave leading the Highland regiment through the swamp (though I can’t say I looked very hard), but assuming that is true, this is quite reminiscent of Prestonpans, so it was interesting for that to come up with Jamie, Claire and Fergus who were all at the earlier battle.

- Were you worried when Claire and Rachel headed out into the city even while they could hear the battle going on? At first, I was concerned, but it seemed like a lot of people were on the streets and the battle wasn’t very close by. I would have expected Jamie to warn her to be careful or ask what she planned before he left to bring the rest of the family there, though.

- If Fergus hadn’t started up the L’Oignon, why did he head out into danger (with Ian)? Did he plan to type up some sort of handbill with news of the battle to sell even without it being a newspaper? Is this a way to start getting customers or attention in a new city?

- My earlier impression had been that the whole family was in or very near the same place, but now it sounds like Jenny and Marsali’s family were some distance away. Was that your impression? How do you think things will go with so many people in Claire and Jamie’s small quarters? Or once the army is established in town will it be fairly safe for them to return to wherever they’ve been staying?

- Why do you think Claire gave the possible pox cure to the whores for free when she knew they intended to sell it and didn’t need it themselves? I understand if she wanted to help them by treating their illness if they had it, but I’m sure they would have paid or traded something knowing they’d make money selling it to soldiers.

Post subject: Re: MOBY: Chapter 129: Invasion
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:00 pm 
Clan Fraser

Thanks for the summary, audiobooklover, and for the thought-provoking questions. I did wonder about Claire and Rachel walking around the town, with the shelling in the background, and I was surprised at Claire giving away her precious medicines to people whom she knew wanted them for money. Did she maybe think the whores would get better treatment if they could provide a pox cure to their customers?

I also thought that the whole family was staying close by, so I was surprised that Jamie had to go to fetch the women and children (how did he know where Fergus had gone, if Fergus was living elsewhere?)

It seems odd to have people walking around the town while a battle is going on somewhere, and equally strange that Jamie and Claire are not in the middle of it.

Thanks for the link to information about the battle, which says:
"Howe would receive much of the blame for the disaster, with William Moultrie arguing that he should have either disputed the landing site in force or retreated without battle to keep his army intact."
So Jamie had the right idea, after all. Just think, if he had joined Howe, and led Howe's forces out of the way of danger, we could be reading about Jamie on Wikipedia. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:14 pm 
Clan Fraser

Thanks, ABL! Before visiting Savannah last summer, I had very little idea of the role it played in the Revolutionary War. It's quite fascinating to learn more about it. I agree, it does seem odd for everybody to be running errands while there's shelling going on!

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:08 am 
sapphire member

I also wondered why Claire declined to make any profit on the pox cure. Perhaps she wasn't sure of it's efficacy since it had been made for a while. She did keep the good stuff for the family. Maybe it was a public health service. She might have thought the girls would dilute it to make it go further if they had to pay, but they might do it anyway to maximize their own profit. Or maybe she was trying to establish a rapport with the girls so that they would give her military information gleaned from the soldiers and come to her for treatment if they had problems in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:39 pm 
topaz member

Thanks for the Summary.

I thought about why Claire refrained from a profit ,too. I think Claire feels guilty that she did n't lead with telling Manfred that there was a cure before telling he was poxed. Then there IS Wee Ian.

FLS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:47 pm 
Clan Fraser

Ian hasn't gone with a prostitute since he met Rachel, so I don't think Claire is concerned about that. I can see that she might just want to help the prostitutes she knew, but clearly it wasn't a question of whether there is a cure since if they didn't know she had one they wouldn't have come to her to ask for it (and they did). Definitely a point, though, about feeling guilty about Manfred running away before she told him she could cure it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:19 pm 
topaz member

Yes, you're right about Ian .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:21 pm 
topaz member

o didn't Ian have to get the cure when Jamie and Claire return from the W house.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:11 am 
sapphire member

The only time that I remember Ian being dosed for syphilis was after he was with Geillis in Voyager. I can't remember if Claire insisted he be treated after being with Miss Sylvie. Maybe she knew Sylvie was clean. I know she and Jamie went to her brothel and she treated all the girls for free, but I can't remember if that was before or after Ian used her services.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:56 am 
Clan Fraser

I think Ian and Sylvie were treated then because Sylvie had been the one to take Manfred when he came to the brothel and she later slept with Ian so they were both at risk.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:00 pm 
sapphire member

Yes, I checked and Manfred caught his pox at another establishment in a different town from a ***** named Myra, who later died of the disease, and then he went to Mrs. Sylvie as a customer. Claire did treat Ian, just in case, even though neither of them had sores. She treated all the whores for free as a public health service so she could have had that in mind in Savannah, even though she wasn't there to witness whether the potion was administered correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:50 am 
Clan Fraser

Thanks for the chapter summary, ABL.

It was interesting to learn that Jamie had been working at Fadler's warehouse as a supervisor and senior clerk. From previous chapters it seemed that Claire was the only one earning money in the household.

Ian and Rachel live in the same house as Jamie and Claire, but with Jenny, Marsali, Fergus and the kids joining them, it will be a full house. At least they will be warm and cozy with temperatures reaching Turkish bath levels. (Couldn't help but think of Pawn in Frankincense with the mention of Turkish baths. :) )

I guess the handbills and broadsheets had been printed before Jamie and Fergus hid Bonnie in the previous chapter?