It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: OL SERIES: Time Travel & Circular Thinking Part Twa
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:52 pm 
topaz member

I have been re-kilting Voyager (AGAIN) and Chapter 22 All Hallows' Eve got me thinking circularly (AGAIN). The first sentence:

"Two golden guineas, six sovereigns, twenty-three shillings, eighteen florins ninepence, ten halfpence, and ... twelve farthings."

These are the coins Roger and Bree gather for Claire's return voyage. BUT, those are coins from the past that survived to 1960's. When she takes them back with her, those coins are already there where/when they originated. When she arrives, there's two sets of those coins in the 18th century. Can that cause a paradox. The point is made repeatedly that a TT'er cannot re-enter a time/place twice, but can inanimate objects. Or does it really matter? :thinking:

Post subject: Re: Time Travel & Circular Thinking Part Twa
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:16 pm 
purple diamond member

I love these questions. I was just taking a little break because I have so much work to do, but now it'll take longer because I'll be thinking of this :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:26 pm 
Clan Fraser

Interesting question, Carlotta. I really have no idea, but I'm going to guess that things are different for inanimate objects than they are for people.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:26 pm 
topaz member

Sorry my obsession with circular thinking has interrupted you work flow, Demetria.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:28 pm 
topaz member

audiobooklover wrote:
Interesting question, Carlotta. I really have no idea, but I'm going to guess that things are different for inanimate objects than they are for people.

Why wouldn't it matter, matter is matter; living or inanimate. I'm sure there's a 15th law of thermodynamics out there somewhere. Bree probably knows it.

Post subject: Re: OL SERIES: Time Travel & Circular Thinking Part Twa
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:48 pm 
purple diamond member

Have you read 11/22/63 by Stephen King, Carlotta? I know it's a different situation , but in that one money and food are brought to the present. The food gets eaten in the present and the money gets taken back to the past to buy the same food again :)

I think you should ask Herself how that works. If you're one of the first to comment on the daily lines on FB, she'll answer you. Oh, that reminds me, today's daily lines were so good. I hope someone can post the link on our daily line thread here. It won't work from my phone.