It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

How would you rate this book?
5***** 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4**** 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
3*** 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
2** 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1* 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Did not finish 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: BOTM June 2017 Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:07 am 
Clan Fraser

June's Book of the Month is:
Commonwealth by Ann Patchett

#1 New York Times Bestseller

The acclaimed, bestselling author—winner of the PEN/Faulkner Award and the Orange Prize—tells the enthralling story of how an unexpected romantic encounter irrevocably changes two families’ lives.

One Sunday afternoon in Southern California, Bert Cousins shows up at Franny Keating’s christening party uninvited. Before evening falls, he has kissed Franny’s mother, Beverly—thus setting in motion the dissolution of their marriages and the joining of two families.

Spanning five decades, Commonwealth explores how this chance encounter reverberates through the lives of the four parents and six children involved. Spending summers together in Virginia, the Keating and Cousins children forge a lasting bond that is based on a shared disillusionment with their parents and the strange and genuine affection that grows up between them.

When, in her twenties, Franny begins an affair with the legendary author Leon Posen and tells him about her family, the story of her siblings is no longer hers to control. Their childhood becomes the basis for his wildly successful book, ultimately forcing them to come to terms with their losses, their guilt, and the deeply loyal connection they feel for one another.

Told with equal measures of humor and heartbreak, Commonwealth is a meditation on inspiration, interpretation, and the ownership of stories. It is a brilliant and tender tale of the far-reaching ties of love and responsibility that bind us together.

Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Harper; 1 edition (September 13, 2016)
ISBN-10: 0062491792
ISBN-13: 978-0062491794

Discussion Begins on June 21. :flower:

Post subject: Re: BOTM June 2017 Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:08 pm 
Clan Fraser

I just started this yesterday and am enjoying it so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:11 pm 
purple diamond member

Oh, my... I need to get this from the library...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:38 pm 
Clan Fraser

I have it, but I'm not starting it yet because if I finish it too early, I won't remember enough to discuss it when the time comes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:37 pm 
Clan Fraser

My library hold finally arrived! Looking forward to reading this -- I've had my eye on it for a while now.

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:01 pm 
Clan Fraser

I started listening last night and I've gotten farther than I might have expected today. So far I like it, but don't absolutely love it, but there's plenty of time for things to build.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:35 am 
Clan Fraser

I managed to finish Commonwealth early. It is my first Ann Patchett book so I am curious to know how Commonwealth compares to her other works.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:33 am 
purple diamond member

I thought it would be my first too, Lady Jayne, because I haven't read the one on my bed shelf yet :) but I remember a free short audiobook she wrote: This is the Story of a Happy Marriage that I did listen to.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:24 pm 
purple diamond member

I just stared listening and it's already annoying me. What's with all these new writers using "ago" incorrectly? Something that "had happened" is "three month before" or "earlier," not "ago." "Ago" is before now, not before then.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:53 pm 
Clan Fraser

I switched to just reading and I can go quicker. I found I didn't enjoy the narration. It's going better.
Lady Jayne wrote:
I managed to finish Commonwealth early. It is my first Ann Patchett book so I am curious to know how Commonwealth compares to her other works.
I read Bel Canto a while back and it didn't grab me much but I didn't want to form an opinion about this one. So far I like this one better. I will admit, though, that Bel Canto is one of those books that has stayed with me over the years. That one was about a hostage situation. I think I just didn't like the topic and I hadn't selected it.

People enjoy her writing. Maybe it's one of those either you like her a lot or you don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:06 pm 
Clan Fraser

I read Bel Canto several years ago and enjoyed it. I agree that it is a story line that lingers in the brain. I finished Commonwealth about a week ago - it was a quick read for me, for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:24 pm 
Clan Fraser

I read Run by Ann Patchett several years ago. I remember finding it very interesting at the time, although I'll admit that I don't actually remember much about the plot.

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:03 pm 
purple diamond member

Bel Canto is another one of the books on my bed stand waiting patiently for me...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pm 
Clan Fraser

I really liked Bel Canto when I read it last year. I finished listening to this one this morning and I didn't like it as much (though I won't say too much now), but reading your posts, I'm wondering if I would have liked it more by reading it and the fact that I didn't love it as much as I hoped was because of the narration, which I didn't love. Commonwealth was highly recommended to me by a friend whose opinions on books I trust, so it could be that reading would have been better. Mind you, I haven't been managing a whole lot of reading time overall, so audio is practical because I got through it this way. . .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:40 am 
emerald member

I went and got the book yesterday from the library. This will be my first time joining a BOTM read along. It is also -- other than one Stephen King book -- the first NON-Diana-Gabaldon book I have picked up since finding Outlander in April 2016 (still not through all the Big Books yet, though I have read OL 3x and DIA, Voyager, and DOA twice each). I am a fast reader but generally only get to read on my subway commute. Anyway... started Commonwealth last night and like it so far. My library has it on a one-week loan though - I'll have to read fast and hope I remember things! Happy to join you here.