It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:19 am

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Vote for your top choice for the August BOTM:
Poll runs till Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:45 pm
Miss Garnet's Angel by Salley Vickers 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Rules of Civility by Amor Towles 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Relic Master by Christopher Buckley 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Past by Tessa Hadley 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Fire from Heaven by Mary Renault 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Possession by A.S. Byatt 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Book of the Month for August 2017: Readers' Choice!
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:51 pm 
Clan Fraser

For the August 2017 Book of the Month, it's Readers' Choice!

If you have a book in mind that you'd love to discuss with the group, now's the time to suggest it!

Here's how it will work:

Anyone who'd like to can suggest a book. Please stick to fiction, under 400 pages, available in the US and UK. Add your post to this thread, including the book title, author, and (if possible) a brief synopsis (Goodreads is usually a good source).

Make your suggestions by June 15th. At that point, we'll collect all the book suggestions and put together a poll to pick a winner.

To see what books we're already read for BOTM and what books are coming up this year, you can check out the threads in the Book of the Month forum here.

Looking forward to seeing your book selections! Thanks for participating!

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

Post subject: Re: Book of the Month for August 2017: Readers' Choice!
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:19 pm 
purple diamond member

Question. Does it matter when it was published? Does it have to be a máximum of, say, 2 years ago?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:39 pm 
Clan Fraser

No restrictions on publication date -- anything that you think would make a good book to discuss!

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:47 am 
emerald member

G'day all...may I make the suggestion of:

Miss Garnet's Angel by Salley Vickers | PenguinRandomHouse.com

After the death of her longtime friend and flatmate, retired British history teacher Julia Garnet does something completely out of character: She takes a six-month rental on a modest appartamento in Venice. An atheist, a Communist, and a virgin, Julia finds herself falling beneath the seductive spell of the city's intoxicating beauty and sensual religiosity. She befriends a young Italian boy and English twins who are restoring a fourteenth-century chapel. And she falls in love for the first time in her life with an art dealer named Carlo.

Juxtaposing Julia's journey of self-discovery with the apocryphal tale of Tobias and the Archangel Raphael, Miss Garnet's Angel tells a lyrical, incandescent story of love, loss, miracles, and redemption . . . and of one woman's transformation and epiphany. Already a bestseller in England, it is "novel-writing at its finest and most eloquent . . . splendid . . . the sort of book that effortlessly, like angels, or sunlight on Venice's rippling waterways, casts brightness and beauty into those private and most shadowed recesses of the human heart" (The Christian Science Monitor).

I don't think it is more than 400 pages.
All the books by this lady fascinated me...one has the back theme of Hamlet and another a canvas by Caravaggio. All of them are very gentle but address deep philosophical and psychological issues.
Heather

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:05 pm 
Clan Fraser

Great selection, Heather. I'm certainly intrigued. Thank you for your suggestion.

I don't have a selection yet, but I would read Miss Garnet's Angel.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:29 pm 
Clan Fraser

Heather, that sounds like an intriguing book. I will add it to my TBR list if we don't choose it as the August book. I have this book on my TBR list, which might have been suggested in the past as a BOTM:

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. A grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door. Meet Ove. He's a curmudgeon, the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him the bitter neighbor from hell, but must Ove be bitter just because he doesn't walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time? Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove's mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents' association to their very foundations.
337 pages
more details here from Goodreads

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:23 pm 
emerald member

DLT & ND thank you for the comments. I have a copy of the movie made from this book (A man called Ove)but I have yet to see it. A great suggestion as the story is wonderful and I like Scandinavian authors!
Have not had the opportunity to join in for Sweet Tooth or the June selection. Boo Hoo. Heather

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:26 pm 
Clan Fraser

Great suggestions, hevva and DLT.

Amor Towles's debut novel, Rules of Civility , sounds interesting and has received good reviews.

Considered "wonderful” (Chicago Tribune) and “sharply stylish” (Boston Globe), this debut novel presents the story of a young woman whose life is on the brink of transformation. On the last night of 1937, twenty-five-year-old Katey Kontent is in a second-rate Greenwich Village jazz bar when Tinker Grey, a handsome banker, happens to sit down at the neighboring table. This chance encounter and its startling consequences propel Katey on a year-long journey into the upper echelons of New York society—where she will have little to rely upon other than a bracing wit and her own brand of cool nerve. With its sparkling depiction of New York’s social strata, its intricate imagery and themes, and its immensely appealing characters, Rules of Civility won the hearts of readers and critics alike.

It is 349 pages and was published in July 2011.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:19 pm 
emerald member

LJ...that looks good too...I have requested it from the library. I am always looking for a new good read. Thanks. Heather

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:03 pm 
purple diamond member

I have heard this one is very good, and I bought it at a Library sale. Maybe y'all already read it and I'll have to read it by myself...hopefully not.

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

The Name of the Rose (Italian: Il nome della rosa [il ˈnoːme della ˈrɔːza]) is the 1980 debut novel by Italian author Umberto Eco. It is a historical murder mystery set in an Italian monastery, in the year 1327, an intellectual mystery combining semiotics in fiction, biblical analysis, medieval studies and literary theory. It was translated into English by William Weaver in 1983.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:53 pm 
Clan Fraser

Ah...Umberto Eco. I saw him when he came to NYU to lecture about this book. I think I even recorded him. Who knows where that tape went. Brings me back. Saw the movie too when it first came. Sean Connery played a very good sleuth.

I wouldn't mind reading that one again. I loved it. I have the Italian and have been meaning to re-read it again in the original.
Great choice, Demetria. Brava!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:08 pm 
emerald member

A wonderful book and another great choice. I love Umberto Eco. Clever and fascinating. I also liked Foucault's Pendulum a lot.
Heather

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:04 pm 
Clan Fraser

I enjoyed Name of the Rose. I have two other books by Eco, but have not yet got around to reading them. One day ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:22 am 
Clan Fraser

Here's one my work book club is reading this summer:
The Relic Master by Christopher Buckley
Quote:
Christopher Buckley’s “hilarious, bawdy, and irreverent frolic of a tale” about a sixteenth-century relic hunter and the artist Albrecht Dürer who conspire to fabricate Christ’s burial shroud reads “like Indiana Jones gone medieval” (USA TODAY).
Read more here.
Sounds like it could be a fun read for the summer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:34 pm 
Clan Fraser

NigheanDubh, that sounds like an interesting book - I will have to add it to my TBR list. At this rate I'll be reading six BOTMs in August!