It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Welcome
Welcome to outlanderbookclub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: BOOK OF THE MONTH SELECTIONS: JAN - AUG 2017
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:53 pm 
Clan Fraser

Announcing the OBC Book of the Month selections for January - August, 2017!

January: My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout

Lucy Barton is recovering slowly from what should have been a simple operation. Her mother, to whom she hasn’t spoken for many years, comes to see her. Gentle gossip about people from Lucy’s childhood in Amgash, Illinois, seems to reconnect them, but just below the surface lie the tension and longing that have informed every aspect of Lucy’s life: her escape from her troubled family, her desire to become a writer, her marriage, her love for her two daughters. Knitting this powerful narrative together is the brilliant storytelling voice of Lucy herself: keenly observant, deeply human, and truly unforgettable.

193 pages; published 2016

February: The Devil's Cub by Georgette Heyer

Devil's Cub is one of Georgette Heyer's most famous and memorable novels, featuring a dashing and wild young nobleman and the gently bred young lady in whom he finally meets his match?

Like father, like son?
Dominic Alistair, Marquis of Vidal and fiery son of the notorious Duke of Avon, has established a rakish reputation that rivals his father's, living a life of excess and indulgence. Banished to the Continent after wounding his opponent in a duel, Vidal schemes to abduct the silly aristocrat bent on seducing him into marriage and make her his mistress instead. In his rush, however, he seems to have taken the wrong woman?

A young lady of remarkable fortitude?
Determined to save her sister from ruin, virtuous Mary Challoner intercepts the Marquis's advances and throws herself into his path, hoping Vidal will release her upon realizing his error. But as the two become irrevocably entangled, Mary's reputation and future lie in the hands of a devilish rake, who finds her more fascinating every day?

310 pages; published 1932

March: The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry

When she was a young woman, Roseanne McNulty was one of the most beautiful and beguiling girls in County Sligo, Ireland. Now, she is a patient at Roscommon Regional Mental Hospital, and nearing her hundredth year. As the story of Roseanne's life unfolds, so does the life of her caregiver, Dr. Grene, who has been asked to evaluate the patients to decide if they can return to society when the hospital closes down. But as Dr. Grene researches her case, he discovers a document that tells a very different version of Roseanne's life from what she can recall.

300 pages: published 2008

April: West With The Night by Beryl Markham

West with the Night is the story of Beryl Markham--aviator, racehorse trainer, beauty--and her life in the Kenya of the 1920s and '30s.

294 pages; published 1942

May: Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan

Cambridge student Serena Frome’s beauty and intelligence make her the ideal recruit for MI5. The year is 1972. The Cold War is far from over. England’s legendary intelligence agency is determined to manipulate the cultural conversation by funding writers whose politics align with those of the government. The operation is code named “Sweet Tooth.”

Serena, a compulsive reader of novels, is the perfect candidate to infiltrate the literary circle of a promising young writer named Tom Haley. At first, she loves his stories. Then she begins to love the man. How long can she conceal her undercover life? To answer that question, Serena must abandon the first rule of espionage: trust no one.

301 pages; published 2012

June: Commonwealth by Ann Patchett

One Sunday afternoon in Southern California, Bert Cousins shows up at Franny Keating’s christening party uninvited. Before evening falls, he has kissed Franny’s mother, Beverly—thus setting in motion the dissolution of their marriages and the joining of two families.

Spanning five decades, Commonwealth explores how this chance encounter reverberates through the lives of the four parents and six children involved. Spending summers together in Virginia, the Keating and Cousins children forge a lasting bond that is based on a shared disillusionment with their parents and the strange and genuine affection that grows up between them.

322 pages; published 2016

July: A Fall of Marigolds by Susan Meissner

September 1911. On Ellis Island in New York Harbor, nurse Clara Wood cannot face returning to Manhattan, where the man she loved fell to his death in the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire. Then, while caring for a fevered immigrant whose own loss mirrors hers, she becomes intrigued by a name embroidered onto the scarf he carries …and finds herself caught in a dilemma that compels her to confront the truth about the assumptions she’s made. Will what she learns devastate her or free her?

September 2011. On Manhattan’s Upper West Side, widow Taryn Michaels has convinced herself that she is living fully, working in a charming specialty fabric store and raising her daughter alone. Then a long-lost photograph appears in a national magazine, and she is forced to relive the terrible day her husband died in the collapse of the World Trade Towers …the same day a stranger reached out and saved her. Will a chance reconnection and a century-old scarf open Taryn’s eyes to the larger forces at work in her life?

394 pages: published 2014

:read: :read: August: Reader's Choice! Stay tuned for details -- we'll be asking for suggestions and running a poll for our August book. :read: :read:

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

Post subject: Re: BOOK OF THE MONTH SELECTIONS: JAN - AUG 2017
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:11 am 
Clan Fraser

Such a nice range of books. Thank you for organizing the OBC BOTM Lisa SF. :)

I picked up next month's choice, My Name is Lucy Barton, from the library today.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:09 am 
purple diamond member

I read the Secret Scripture several years ago and recall liking it a lot. Other than that comment, I doubt I will participate since I don't have enough time to keep up.

Donne-moi mille baisers, et puis cent, et puis mille autres, puis une seconde fois cent, puis encore mille autres, puis cent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:36 am 
Clan Fraser

I think I read The Secret Scripture years ago (prior to 2012 at least, which is when I began to write down the titles I had read, as being the only way to prevent my re-reading something and only realising it on the last page :lol: - the perils of advancing years!)
Anyway - I liked it, so I will probably read it again to refresh my memory.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:29 pm 
Clan Fraser Veteran

Great BOTM choices..

I have read Secret Scripture, Devil's Cub..I love Georgette Hayer ! And Sweet Tooth

All good.

Happy Reading :read:

ImageImage

“Sassenach." He had called me that from the first; the Gaelic word for outlander, a stranger. An Englishman. First in jest, then in affection.”

My Book Blog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:39 pm 
Clan Fraser

I'm looking forward to the reads. They all sound great. I hope I will be able to participate in each one.
Thanks Lisa!